Kon Tum is a city in the Central Highlands of Vietnam, known for its strong cultural identity and fascinating history. Home to many ethnic minority groups, Kon Tum is a bustling city with a host of sites to explore and experience. From ancient pagodas and temples to picturesque rural landscapes and bustling markets, there’s plenty to keep you busy when visiting Kon Tum.
History of Kon Tum
Kon Tum is an old city, established in 1745 by the Kinh people. It was originally established as a military post, and has since grown into a thriving city. Kon Tum has an array of cultures and ethnicities, including Kinh, Ba Na, Sedang, Jarai, and others. The city is a melting pot of cultures and religions, including ones that follow traditional practices, Buddhism, Christianity and Cao Dai.
Kon Tum has a long history of wars and colonization. It was the first city to be affected by the Vietnam War and was also the site of a number of battles during World War II. Despite the turmoil of the past century, it has managed to preserve its cultural identity and vibrant atmosphere.
Top 7 Things to Do in Kon Tum
Kon Tum is an exciting city to explore and there are plenty of things to do to keep visitors occupied. Here is a list of the top 7 things to do and see when visiting Kon Tum.
- Visit Kon Tum Market: Kon Tum Market is a bustling marketplace and a great place to purchase local produce and handicrafts. It is also a great place to observe the locals and get a glimpse of the culture of the city.
- Exploring Ancient Pagodas: Kon Tum is home to many ancient pagodas and temples, which date back to the 18th century. The oldest in the city is the Tay An Pagoda, a beautiful temple that is a must-see for visitors.
- Visit Kon Klor Suspension Bridge: Kon Klor Suspension Bridge is a must-visit for any visitor to Kon Tum. This impressive bridge was built in the 1950s and it is still standing today. It gives you beautiful views of the city and the surrounding area.
- Visit Kon Tum Cathedral: Kon Tum Cathedral is the largest religious building in the city, and it is a must-see for any visitor. This impressive structure was built in the early 20th century and it is a great place to go and experience the history and culture of the city.
- Take a Hike in Buon Ma Thuot National Park: Buon Ma Thuot National Park is an impressive natural area near Kon Tum. It is the perfect spot for a day of hiking and exploring the stunning landscape.
- Explore the Regional Villages: Kon Tum is home to many different ethnic minorities, and it is worth exploring the regional villages to see how people are living and to learn about their cultures and beliefs.
- Visit the Kon Tum Museum: Kon Tum Museum is a great place to learn about the history and culture of the city. It showcases many different artifacts, including war memorabilia, traditional costumes and other items from the local culture.
Kon Tum’s Food Culture
Kon Tum is well known for its amazing food culture. The city is home to a number of different restaurants and eateries, serving up both local cuisine and international fare. Some of the most popular dishes in Kon Tum include seafood, grilled meats, and traditional Vietnamese dishes such as banh mi and pho.
The city also has a wide selection of street food, offering a variety of dishes that are perfect for a light snack or a quick meal. Each of the local ethnic groups has its own traditional cuisine, so there is something to suit all palates.
Unique Things About Kon Tum
Kon Tum is a unique city with a lot to offer visitors. Here are some unique things about Kon Tum that many people don’t know:
- Sung Hoi Festival: The Sung Hoi Festival is an annual celebration that takes place in Kon Tum, where the locals celebrate their culture and heritage. The festival includes traditional music, dancing, and performances.
- Fruit orchards: Kon Tum is home to many fruit orchards, where visitors can pick their own fruit. Many of the locals sell their own fruit, making it a great place to buy local produce.
- Traditional music: Kon Tum is known for its traditional music, which is a mix of modern and ancient sounds. There are a number of traditional music venues in the city, where visitors can enjoy the local music scene.
Getting to Kon Tum
Kon Tum is easy to get to by air, train, bus, or car. The nearest airport is Pleiku Airport, which is just over 40 km from the city. There are also regular bus and train services from major cities in Vietnam such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and Da Nang.
When to Visit Kon Tum
The best time to visit Kon Tum is May to September, as this is when the weather is mild and the rainfall is low. This is also the peak season for tourism, so the city will be bustling with activity.
Exploring the Kon Tum Province
Kon Tum City is just one of the cities in the Kon Tum province. The province is home to many other cities, such as Pleiku and Qui Nhon, which are also worth exploring. You can view other cities in the province at Tripfany and plan your travel itinerary accordingly.
If you’re looking to plan your trip to Kon Tum, then the team at Tripfany are here to help. We offer a range of services, from booking flights and accommodation to helping you plan your route and activities. Contact us today and let us help you plan the perfect trip to Kon Tum.