Pleiku is a charming city in the Gia Lai Province of Vietnam and attracts many visitors each year. Located in the Central Highlands on the North Bank of the South China Sea and surrounded by mountains, it’s the ideal place to explore the cultural diversity of Vietnam.
History of Pleiku
Pleiku has a long and unique history that dates back to the 15th century. It was originally inhabited by the Rhade ethnic group, who worked as hunters and fishers in the area. However, in the late 19th century, the French arrived and established a military base. During the Vietnam War, Pleiku played a major role in the war effort by providing a safe harbor and shelter for the Allied forces.
The Best Things to See in Pleiku
Pleiku is full of wonderful sights and experiences. Here are the top 7 things for you to see when you visit Pleiku:
- H’Re Village: Visit this traditional Rhade Village for a unique insight into the history and culture of the local people.
- T’Nung Lake: This picturesque lake is perfect for swimming, fishing, or just taking in the beauty of nature.
- Thien An Pagoda: Built in 1885, this Buddhist temple is a beautiful place to explore and learn more about Buddhism.
- M’Nong Village: Visit this traditional M’Nong Village to learn about the village’s traditional lifestyle and customs.
- Ngoc Linh Mountain: Climb to the peak of Ngoc Linh Mountain, which offers sweeping views of the city and the surrounding countryside.
- Pleiku Waterfall: Take a refreshing dip in the waterfall and enjoy the spectacular view of the surrounding jungle.
- Un Chua Cave: Explore the cave and you’ll find stunning stalactites and stalagmites and a plethora of unusual rock formations.
Food Culture in Pleiku
Pleiku is also known for its unique cuisine, which is a mix of traditional local Rhade and French-Vietnamese flavors. Popular dishes include banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich), cao lau (rice noodles with pork and shrimp), bun bo (beef noodles), and thit kho (fried pork with onions and eggs). For dessert, you can try banh bo (rice cake), che (sweet soups), or xoi vo (steamed rice cake).
Unique Things to Do in Pleiku
Pleiku is full of surprises and offers plenty of unique experiences for visitors. From visiting ancient villages to exploring hidden caves, there’s something for everyone. Some unique experiences in Pleiku include visiting the colourful markets, trekking through the jungle, or stopping by a local coffee farm.
How to Get to Pleiku
Pleiku is easily accessible by road and there are regular buses from Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. You can also fly to Pleiku airport, which is served by domestic airlines. Pleiku is also close to a number of other destinations in the Gia Lai Province, such as Kon Tum, Buon Ma Thuot, and Di Linh, which can be easily reached by bus or car.
When is the Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Pleiku is from December to April, when the weather is generally warm and dry. During this time, the temperature is pleasant and the landscape is lush and green.
Explore Other Cities in Gia Lai Province
In addition to Pleiku, there are a number of other cities in the Gia Lai Province that are worth exploring. Take a look at Tripfany’s list of cities in the Gia Lai Province to plan your trip.
We Can Help You Plan Your Trip
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing beach getaway or an adventurous jungle trek, we can help you plan the perfect itinerary for your trip to Pleiku. Contact us at Tripfany and we’ll be happy to help you out.