Nha Trang is a vibrant coastal city situated in the Central part of Vietnam. It boasts of an amazing stretch of white sandy beaches, some of the best seafood in the world, and a rich cultural heritage. Founded in the 1st century AD, Nha Trang has grown from a small fishing village to one of Vietnam’s top tourist destinations. Here’s a guide that will help you make the most of your time in this enchanting city.
History of Nha Trang
Nha Trang has a long and storied history that dates back to the 1st century AD. At that time, it was known as Kauthara and was a major port city under the Champa kingdom, which was the predominant power in the region. It was during this period that the beautiful Nha Trang Bay was discovered and developed, which made the city a popular stopover point for trade ships travelling between China and India.
In the 19th century, the city was annexed by the French, who then named it Tourane. Under French rule, the city flourished and became a major tourist destination. The French also developed the public infrastructure and built the city’s iconic bridge, which is still in use today. Following the end of French rule in 1954, Nha Trang continued to grow, becoming one of Vietnam’s most popular destinations for both domestic and international tourists.
Top 7 Things to See in Nha Trang
Nha Trang is packed with amazing sights and activities. Here are the top 7 things you should check out when in the city:
- The Nha Trang Cathedral: This beautiful cathedral dates back to the 19th century and is an important part of the city’s history. It is home to a stunning stained-glass window and a lovely bell tower.
- The Long Son Pagoda: This ancient pagoda is located on a picturesque hilltop and offers a stunning view of the bay. It is home to a giant white Buddha statue, as well as a number of other intricately carved sculptures.
- The Po Nagar Cham Towers: These ancient towers date back to the 7th century and are a must-see for anyone visiting the city. They offer a unique glimpse into the ancient Cham civilization.
- The Dam Market: This bustling market is packed with locals selling fresh produce, seafood, and other items. It’s a great place to experience the vibrant atmosphere of Nha Trang.
- The Vinpearl Amusement Park: This expansive park is home to roller-coasters, water-slides, and other thrilling rides. It’s the perfect place for families and thrill-seekers alike.
- The Hon Chong Promontory: This stunning promontory sits on the edge of the bay and offers amazing views of the city and the ocean.
- The Nha Trang Beach: This beautiful white-sand beach stretches along the bay and is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and other activities.
Food Culture in Nha Trang
Nha Trang is renowned for its delicious cuisine, which is a mix of both local and international flavors. You can find traditional Vietnamese dishes like pho, banh mi, and bun cha, as well as more modern fare like pizzas and burgers. Seafood is a big part of the local diet and you can find a variety of fresh fish, crab, and other seafood dishes. There are also plenty of bars and cafes where you can sample some of the local craft beers and wines.
Unique Things about Nha Trang
Nha Trang is more than just a tourist destination. It is also home to a number of unique experiences that you won’t find anywhere else. Here are some of the most interesting attractions in Nha Trang:
- The Ba Ho Waterfalls: These stunning cascading waterfalls are located in the nearby hills and are the perfect spot for a day trip.
- The Hai Van Pass: This notorious mountain pass offers amazing views of the city and the ocean. It’s also the site of a bustling local market.
- The Thap Ba Hot Springs: Located in the nearby hills, the Thap Ba Hot Springs offer a unique experience of relaxing in natural hot springs.
Getting to Nha Trang
Nha Trang is located on the south-central coast of Vietnam and can be reached by air, train, or bus. The nearest airport is Cam Ranh International Airport, located roughly 30km outside of the city. There are regular flights to the airport from Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and other major cities. There are also regular trains and buses that run between Nha Trang and nearby cities such as Da Nang and Hoi An.
Best Time to Visit Nha Trang
Nha Trang has a tropical climate, so it can be visited year-round. The best time to visit is from April to October, when the weather is milder and the rains are less frequent. During this season, the city is packed with tourists and the beaches are overflowing.
Exploring Other Cities in the Province
If you’re looking to explore more of the province, Tripfany has great guides to Nha Trang and the surrounding cities. From the stunning An Hai beach in Phuoc Long to the ancient My Son ruins in Phan Rang, there’s something for everyone.
Let Tripfany Help You Plan Your Trip to Nha Trang
Tripfany is here to help you plan the perfect trip to Nha Trang. From booking flights and hotels to creating custom itineraries, we can help make your trip unforgettable. Contact us today and let us help you make the most of your time in this incredible city.